The Large Munsterlander History

 

The Large munsterlander orginates from the province of Munster in Germany. The German longhaired pointer was the basis for the large munsterlander. In 1850 the German bred the British pointing dogs namely the Gordon setter and the Irish setter to the GLP to “fine down” the GLP and make them more racy.The foundation stock of the German longhaired pointer was a mixture of old water spaniel and various spaniels from France. A standard for the German Longhaired pointer(GLP) was drawn up in 1879 which included the colour “brown and White” and when “black and white” puppies were born this was frowned upon and these puppies could not be registered on the official register and the breeders tended to give them away to farmers, etc. who didn’t mind the colour provided they did the work required.

In 1919 a seperate breed from the GLP was founded and given the name Large munsterlander the colour of this breed being ” black and white”

It was in 1971/972 that a group of farsightedand financially brave, established gundog breeders/owners, having recognised the working ability of the breed, decided to import a group of six bitches and one dog into the UK from Germany. Five of the bitches were in whelp when they were imported. The names of those first bitches were Maxi Chamavia, Amsel v. Heesenhof, Franka de Wynen, Vreda v. Altenbusch, Inka Chamavia and Golda de Wynen, the dog was Cito v. de Marlerheide. These dogs formed the original nucleus of the breed in the UK. Subsequently there have been several other imports and since the advent of the Pet Passport scheme, breeders have taken advantage of this and taken their bitches to be mated to a German stud dogs. This has helped considerably to widen the available gene pool in this country.

Puppy large munsterlanderThe breed as a whole, even in Germany, has a relatively small gene pool because at the end of the second world war only about six kennels of Large Munsterlanders were known to have survived and it was only due to careful and selective breeding plus a very controlled and carefully monitored ‘outcross’ breeding programme back to German Longhair Pointers supervised by the Large Munsterlander Breed Controller, Herr Egon Vornholt, in order to mitigate the effects of inbreeding that the L.M. has progressed to what we see today.
It was at Crufts at Olympia on 9th February 1973 that 15 interested people met and agreed to form the Large Munsterlander Club. Some of the most influential kennel names (Affixes) during the early establishment of the breed were Foxbrae (Mrs. P. Perkins), Mossburn (Mrs. M. Pounds), Dukesmead (Mrs. Z. Plant), Plantagenets (Mrs. M. Jones), Birkenwald (Mrs. A. Spoors – now Mrs. A. Gill) along with Craigburg (Gordon Woodhouse), Meadlands (Mrs. Wright) and Salyan (Miss S. Fields).
The KC considered the breed for CC status in 1979 but it was felt by the LMC that it would be beneficial to wait a little longer until type and numbers were more established and the first set of CCs were awarded by Mrs. Mineka Mills-de-Hoog at Crufts in 1980. The dog making history by receiving the first CC awarded in the breed was Craigburg Baron, owned and shown by Mrs. Helen Campton (now Mrs. Salmon) and the bitch CC was awarded to Salyan Gay Anja owned by Dr. & Mrs. Robson and Mrs. Annette Stenner, this bitch went on to become the first Show Champion in the breed.
It was on October 7th, 1984 that the breed had grown sufficiently to enable the LMC to stage the first breed Championship show, judged by Mrs. Margaret Holmes (one of the founder members of the club) at Towcester Racecourse, with the dog CC and BIS going to Raymond Butler and Christine and Michael Ogle’s Sh. Ch. Axel von Esterfeld of Raycris and the bitch CC went to Dot and Roy Hunter’s Datroy Irresistable. It is interesting that the total entry to this show was 137. (and the rest, as they say, is history)

 

index